25/07/2016

THE SPIRIT OF THE STREETS


IT WILL COME AS NO SURPRISE to many of my readers that I, although relatively fenced off in my home from what may be called 'terrorism', unless one includes the absurd VAT charges on goods and services that I and my good lady wife provide to the wider world, feel that, as they sometimes say, something ought to be done.

LIKE MANY OTHER PEOPLE, I have no idea what this 'something' that ought to be done is, or how it should be done.

YET I DO KNOW WHO should not be doing it, whatever it is. And these are the people who have not being doing it yet have been taking our money for decades. So, in common, it seems with so many others, I see that we have come to a situation in which we will allow -- or rather permit -- those who have no proven acumen, no 'track record', no 'red boxes read' and perhaps not even any desire to make a living out of politics to run things.

POLITICS HAS BECOME the equivalent of the Pokémon Go game: inept, confused individuals, spurred on by a desire to do nothing better than to get out of the house, often encouraged by their mothers, wives, fathers or husbands to do so, go gadding about the country in search of something fleeting, perhaps even ethereal, which wafts on a crisp and bitter wind from the East with a strangely metallic taste to it.

(My photograph shows newly-appointed British Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond on his recent visit to China)

No comments:

Post a Comment